Climate

The climate of Cuba is subtropical humid, with two clearly defined stations, the dry one (winter) of November to April, and the rainy one (summer) of May to October and with continuous breezes the whole year that they refresh substantially. The annual average temperature is 24°C, average in winter is 20°C and in summer is 26-27°C. During the winter season it is frequent the entrance of cold fronts with minimum temperatures sometimes below 10°C. The minimum temperatures vary between 1°C and 8.5 °C in the occident of the country and between 3°C and 12.5°C in the oriental region; the registered maximum temperatures are among 36°C-38°C.

Generally Western region are less hot and more rainy but that the oriental in spite of that the basin of the river Toa in the oriental part is the area most rainy of Cuba with an annual average 3000 mm of rainfall.

The rains have an annual average of 1 200 mm (48 inches) with around 30% of the precipitations in the winter period and the remaining 70% in the summer and in general they are more abundant in the occident of the country that in the east.

Average variable
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
May
Jun
Jul
Ago
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
Year
Avg max temperature (°C)
26
26
27
28
29
30
31
31
31
29
27
26
26
Avg min temperature (°C)
18
18
19
21
22
23
23
24
23
23
21
19
19
Avg temperature (°C)
22
22
24
25
26
27
27
27
26
26
24
23
25
Rain (mm)
64
69
46
53
99
183
107
99
145
180
89
58
1192

A very significant element in the climate of Cuba are the hurricanes that affect the country average once every two years. The hurricanes or tropical hurricanes are areas of drops pressures of among 300-500 km of diameter that cause winds, rains and extremely strong sea surf that usually have catastrophic effects in the regions for where they cross. The season of hurricanes extends from June to November, but they are the months of September and October the most dangerous so much for the frequency in passing of hurricanes as for the intensity of them.

Season and intensity
Total
Jun
Jul
Ago
Sep
Oct
Nov
Years 1800 to 2000
92
6
3
11
25
37
10
High intensity (winds more 200 km/hour)
14
0
0
1
3
9
1
Moderate intensity (winds between 151 to 200 km/hour)
28
1
1
4
7
13
2
Low intensity (winds between 118 to 150 km/hour)
50
5
2
6
15
15
7

Hidrography

bayate river
Bayate River
Pinar del Rio

The own configuration of the island of Cuba, long and narrows, gives place to the existence of rivers of short course and reduced flow in their majority and to a dividing one main of the waters to all the long of the country in two slopes: north and south. The longest river is Cauto and the bigger one is Toa River, and in fact they are hardly creeks compared with the rivers that are come in America of North or South, Europe or any another continent.


The most importants rivers are:

River
Longitude (km)
Province
Cauto
370
Granma
Sagua La Grande
163
Villa Clara
Zaza
155
Sancti Spiritus
Caonao
133
Ciego de Avila
San Pedro
124
Camaguey
Jatibonico del Sur
119
Sancti Spiritus
Las Yeguas
117
Camaguey
Cuyaguateje
112
Pinar del Río
Mayarí
106
Holguín
Hondo
105
Pinar del Río
Agabama
105
Sancti Spiritus
Toa
100
Guantánamo

The fluvial basins in a same way are relatively little extension and there are a total of 632 bigger than 5 km² with a fluvial glide of 31 682 million cubic meters. The biggest basins in the country are:

Name of basin
Area (km²)
Area (mi²)
Cauto
9540
3730 
Zaza
2413
 945
Guantánamo-Guaso
2347
 920
Toa
1061
 415

< 1 | 2 | 3 >